Art is Art and Water is Water

December 24, 2010

December Game: Dec3

Filed under: Month Games — foone @ 2:52 am

Klotski

I got a very late start on this one because I was planning to do the reddit games jam, then I had a bunch of homework to finish. Then I was going to do Ludum Dare, and I wasn’t feeling well. So I built a simple prototype-ish version of Klotski. I’m thinking of making one for Android when I have more time, so this was a nice prototype to flesh out some of the algorithms in Python before I have to deal with the TERROR of Java games dev.

And hurray! This means I’ve done a full year of monthly games with no failures (although technically that was true last month too): All of 2010!
My new goal is going to be to make AND RELEASE a game each month. (Either the new game or one of the backlog)

Here’s to 2011 being an awesome year of gamemaking!

December 7, 2010

Bug: Windows appearing behind the top window on Ubuntu

Filed under: Google bait — foone @ 10:22 am

Disable your always-on-top windows. If you don’t have any, disable your onscreen keyboard (OnBoard was doing it for me)

It seems this is a metacity bug but Compiz hides the problem, so it’s getting no developer love.

December 1, 2010

November Game: Nomo

Filed under: Month Games — foone @ 12:15 am

Nomo

For my November game, I implemented a Nonogram puzzle (also known as Gridders, Paint-Doku, or Crosspix). I called it “Nomo” as “Nomograms” is a funnier name than “Nonograms”.
I developed it for my new touchscreen laptop, so it has a non-keyboard interface. I even coded part of it on the laptop while riding in a long car journey, which was fun as I had no docs.
Codewise, I’m still using the new framework I made for Mahjong Solitaire, with some minor fixes to handle resizing. I added a neat handler-stack system which nicely handles the switch between the list of puzzles and the puzzle itself. I added it in the last ten minutes of November, so I’m surprised I got it finished in time (“Hmmm, ten minutes to go… I know, I’ll recode half the event handling/drawing!”).

For puzzle sources I had intended to make a simple editor, but instead I just ran some regexes against a GameFAQS guide so I could import the puzzles from Nintendo’s Picross DS. I stuck the puzzles in a SQLite database, which I’ve not done yet for a game. It’s a good idea, it gives me pretty powerful data management for very little work. This would help support things like recording which puzzles are won/unlocked, but I didn’t get around to implementing that.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.